Saturday, January 7, 2012

Welcome to 2012, and back to getting started in a hobby and a Blog!  What have I begun for myself?
My new art class begins next week and my weekly "open studio" painting group reconvenes.  I will be busy trying to keep up with assignments in the class with a new painting and theme each week.
I will try to keep my posts current and perhaps that will help me with the class projects.
The poppy painting represents the concept of
"Vibrancy".
I paint with acrylic paints.  This means that a plastic-like fluid or "vehicle" is used to mix the pigments (colors) to make the paint spreadable.  The primary reason that I paint in acrylics is that is how I began in classes, and at this point, I am most comfortable with this form of paint.

Since I began my adventure in the art world, I have had to expand my knowledge of what makes a
good picture.  This is a struggle since there are so many factors in this one concept-"good picture".
Think about what that means to the viewer, why do you want to look at the picture?
I usually take photos to document an event, children growing up, or travel scenes.  Once I began to
paint, I began to look at photos as a painting, or parts of a painting, and had to start actually
composing a picture.  How does a photo or painting draw you into the picture?   The emotional side of
painting or the hidden meaning is an enormous area that I have not begun to unravel.  I have
basically been trying to achieve the "pleasant-decorative-arts" style painting.

One of my first classes was through the "Rufus Porter Museum" in mural painting.  Rufus Porter
was an early 19th century itinerant mural painter.  He painted to decorate homes in the 1800's, and this was my first style of painting:


These two paintings are from scenes of
Rufus Porter Murals.  
Classes in Rufus Porter and other early
American Arts are taught at the Rufus Porter Museum in Bridgton, Maine, rufusportermuseum.org.                        

2 comments:

  1. Great work! I like the "Vibrancy" picture! the poppies have such great colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second Rufus Porter painting-- great perspective. Go Marty!

    ReplyDelete