Sunday, January 22, 2012

AFTER The HOLIDAY
Blog January 15, 2012
After the Holidays, and my trip to Maine, life is almost back to “normal”, and regular programs resuming.    My Tuesday art class began last week.   We 
start with current events in the art world. I am definitely more tuned into the art news now that we discuss the subject.  I usually read over the news, and although I may be aware of the news item, it does not register very deeply.  I find myself paying better attention to the art section of the paper and news.  
We are all invited to show any work that we have been painting and would like to share with the class.  It is a great time to hear others’ impressions, critics of one’s work.
This week as our warm-up painting, we are painting from a picture of an owl  Owls are harder to paint than I thought! Until you try to replicate, draw or paint anything, you don’t really know what the item/or living thing really looks like.  I am struggling with the owl!  Last semester, I felt so insecure about my paintings that I tended to do multiples of every assignment.  I earned the title of  “overachiever”,  little did they know, it was actually pure and simple insecurity.
Each week we start a new concept or theme, and during the week, look for examples of this idea.  We are supposed to bring in a representative in picture format to then paint during the next class and week. 
This semester, our teacher, Fred, has told us that we are working on different types of light.  Our first type of light is indoor light, and the effects of that light. 

This week's word is artificial lighting.  That is a big topic, just think of how many times artificial light is used in out world.   I have looked for the perfect photo, just haven’t found it yet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment