Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Classes January-February 2012

I have been busy trying to keep painting for my art class.  It is challenging to complete a painting every week on a different concept or theme.  Although we have been encouraged to paint on larger canvases or boards, many of us seem to be shrinking our sizes.  After one discouraging painting that I just couldn't seem to "get right" I gave in, and grabbed 2 small 6 inch squares and completed my "man-made' light painting in "diptych" format, side by side paintings.




Our next challenge was "direct light" source.  That meant having a full light force so that there are distinct

shadows.  I found a photo of an old house in Maine and spent more time than I want to think about trying to get the lines correctly drawn, perspective is a course of its own! As I struggled with the lines in my Monday open studio group,  many of the other more experienced artists offered their suggestions and laments over painting/drawing buildings.  One artist, (93 years old!) told me she will not paint buildings any longer, too hard.  So, I don't feel quite so bad that I am still not content with my painting, and some more lines will be altered.  I have a new appreciation for perspective, look at lines in a new light, and need to practice drawing buildings.  I am constantly learning and discovering how much more I need to learn to feel good about my efforts.






Next week, the project calls for diffused light.  I will be in Hawaii, taking lots of photos, studying lines and perspective!  So, I am trying to work ahead and have this finished before I leave.  This painting will continue to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment